About the TAA
The TAA is the labor union representing all graduate student workers at UW–Madison (TAs, PAs, RAs, GAs, and Fellows). We are the oldest graduate employee union in the world. Organizing began in 1966 and the first contract with the university was completed in 1970. Read more about the TAA’s history here!
Any graduate student at UW-Madison is welcome to join the TAA.
What has the TAA done for me?
In the past 30 years, the TAA has successfully won:
- a full tuition waiver
- free, comprehensive health care, including basic dental care
- a grievance procedure to ensure fair resolution of work-related problems
- sick leave and family emergency leave
- workload limits and overwork protection
- paid, department-specific teacher training
- posting of all jobs to ensure equal access to employment
- child care assistance
- significant gains towards PA-TA pay equity
Organization + Leadership Structure
Learn more about the TAA’s campaigns + organizing projects, current union officers, committees, recent news, and how to get involved!