Defend Black Lives
The TAA supports the Movement for Black Lives. The TAA supports Freedom Inc and Urban Triage. This page is created to amplify the steps and asks of these organizations.
Actions in Defense of Black Lives:
- Read the comprehensive policy platform of the Movement for Black Lives.
- Follow these Facebook pages for information about local actions and political education:
- Show up to actions on these pages. Share with your community.
- Donate to these organizations:
- Donate to Free The 350 Bail Fund to support the release of the 32 Black people currently locked up in Dane County Jail only because they do not have the money to pay bail.
- PayPal: FreeThe350BailFund@gmail.com
- Cashapp: $FreeThe350BailFund
- Venmo: @Liam-Manjon (indicate bail fund)
- Support the national campaign to #DefundPolice led by Defending Black Lives by signing up for real-time updates online or by texting “Uprising” to 90975.
Time-Sensitive Calls to Action
Updated Tuesday, June 16, at 12:00pm
Community Control of Police
WHEN: TUESDAY, JUNE 16th before 4pm.
WHAT: At the online/zoom Common Council Executive Committee meeting that begins at 4:30pm, please specifically register in support of the 2nd alternate of #60764
Register in SUPPORT OF The 2nd Alternate of #60764, AGENDA ITEM 6
https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule/common-council-executive-committee-70 then click Register for Public Comment
Link to Tuesday’s Common Council Executive Committee Meeting (begins at 4:30pm)
WHEN: on TUESDAY, JUNE 16th before 6pm
WHAT: At the online/zoom Common Council Executive Committee meeting that begins at 4:30pm, please specifically register in support of the 2nd alternate of #60764. You will need to register 2 times because the city’s registration system requires it should you want to cast your support or opposition for different items.
https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule/common-council-91 Then click Register for Public Comment
1st registration = SUPPORT of #33, the 2nd Alternate of #60764
2nd registration = OPPOSE #41, resolution #60658
Link to Tuesday’s Common Council Meeting Agenda (begins at 6:00pm)
REGISTER, BUT NOT TO SPEAK: You can register your support or opposition to an agenda item without speaking at https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule/virtual-meetings/open
REGISTER AND SPEAK: If you wish to speak at the virtual meeting on an agenda item, you MUST register. You can register at https://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/meeting-schedule/virtual-meetings/open When you register to speak, you will be sent an email with the information you will need to join the virtual meeting. Registering to speak has a bigger impact.
WATCH THE MEETING: You can call-in or watch the Common Council meeting in several ways:
- Livestream on the Madison City Channel website https://media.cityofmadison.com/mediasite/showcase
- Livestream on the City of Madison YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/CityofMadison
Police Free Schools
Join Freedom Youth Squad at the Doyle Administration Building at 3pm Tuesday (today) to support their Police Free Schools Campaign.
These youth are calling for:
- Completely remove cops from schools and create accountability measures for when school staff use police to harm students.
- Invest in the leadership, wellness and creativity of Black youth and youth of color.
- Use restorative and transformative justice practices instead of punitive punishment.
- Community control over schools! Let students, parents and trusted adults have real decision making power about schools.
The MMSD School Board can make these changes. Show up to show your support for these youth.